Friday, September 13, 2013

General Chaos Sequel? Splendid!

I’ll admit it, I’m not a huge fan of video games, so this post will probably seem a little out of place.  I don’t have anything against them, but I just never really got into them.  The only game console we had growing up was a Sega Genesis – and we got it right before the Nintendo 64 was released.  I do have a Wii now, and I think it’s great, but honestly, I mostly use it to watch Netflix.

One thing I am a fan of, though, is passion.  Listening to people talk about their passions is fascinating to me.  I love reading biographies, autobiographies, and memoirs because not only is real life often much funnier than fiction, but I love to hear what excites other people.  I've been teased before for requesting former colleagues write the stories of their lives, but I thought they were fascinating!

I think that’s one reason I like podcasts produced by Nerdist Industries – they’re all made by people who are passionate about one thing or another.  I don’t typically listen to The Indoor Kids podcast, because it’s primarily about video games, but I did listen to their most recent podcast this week.  Brian Colin was the guest, and he talked about his career as a game designer.  It's so apparent throughout the entire podcast that Brian is passionate about game design.  I really enjoyed hearing about his early career, before the big boom of video games.

One of his biggest successes was a game called General Chaos in 1992.  He says in the podcast that to this day, more than 20 years later, he still gets the most mail and communication about General Chaos.  Because of this, he has started a Kickstarter campaign to create a sequel game.  There’s also a live action trailer for the game.  I find the trailer especially amazing because my incredibly talented brother worked on props, special effects, and editing of the video.  His super talented friends, roommate, and girlfriend also acted in the trailer.  In all honestly, my appreciation for the project definitely stems from the fact that Brian is also my brother’s girlfriend’s dad.  That doesn't diminish or change how important it is to Brian and the fans of the original General Chaos game.


If you’re interested in video games, definitely check out the trailer and the podcast and consider donating to the Kickstarter campaign.

Click these links!

No comments:

Post a Comment